Friday, March 27, 2009

We Better Think About It Deeply..

Today, I had the intuition to attend the SHE lecture since my sister, seniors and me did not attend the Station of the Cross service today. The SHE lecture today (I can't believe I'm saying this) was more interesting than the previous SHE lectures that I attended. I am not in the position to compare it with the all the previous lectures because I've been skipping SHE lectures a lot.

Well, today's SHE lecture was more interactive. The lecturer (who happened to be doing lecture at KL right before lecturing at our university) asked us whether the SHE project that we've done really contribute in creating relation among ethnics? Well, honestly, of course not really. I mean, most of the title of the projects were like dancing, food (ahem), and we just need to know merely the identity. But we did not really done a research how the things can contribute in creating relation among races. Urm, excuse me on my previous statement, thinking back, I think that those things like dance and food stuff did create relation among races, but we did not see the process how the relations among races are done. I mean, yeah, how does Indian food (which my group is doing ) help to create relation among races? Okay, let's see. Non-Indian like Chinese and Malay do visit the Indian stall and Indian cafe due to they want to eat Indian food. By ordering and communicating with the cafe's owner and workers which are of course, Indians, then the interaction happened.

But by knowing all these things, the other more serious aspects concerning special rights (hak istimewa) and things like economical status would simply be tolerated just by knowing about other's culture which is not really relevant to solving the tension among ethnics? Yeah, I agree that by knowing about other's culture, we can understand the practise more. But the problem is that, the tension among races do not occur merely because we are different, but it's because we are treated differently. He said that "Sebenarnya kaum bukan Bumiputera tidak mempersoalkan tentang hak istimewa kaum Melayu, tetapi mereka mempersoalkan tentang hak mereka sendiri yang telah dijanjikan". He said that, of course, the hak istimewa thingy is not the real problem since the non-Bumiputera had agreed to that - it's just that the promise for their own rights which they are not satisfied with because the promise had not really been kept.

So, does the SHE project really help in creating relation among ethnics and races? Hmm, my answer is 30%. How bout you?

No comments: