Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Little India, here we come!!

The date was 27th February 2009. I was awake by 7 am that morning. Had to get up early - not because of classes or club activities, but because of some field research that my SHE group was going to do. We were going to do a field research at Little India on Indian food in Malaysia for the Hubungan Etnik course. My group consists of 4 persons, 2 Malay guys namely Hafiz and Hakimi, an Iban girl whom I knew since my orientation week until now, and her name is Melissa, same name with my sister, and obviously we are from the same state, and finally, yours truly, a Chinese girl.

After getting ready and dressed up in a casual shirt and jeans, I walked to IK bus stop as early as 8.30 a.m. I was told that Hafiz would pick us up at 9 a.m., and my waiting place was at IK bus stop. So I went there punctually, which is extradiordinary for me, since I am always impunctual especially to lectures and my Spanish class. There, me and Melissa waited until almost 10 am. Man, he took such a long time~. And finally we discovered that he took a long time because he had to pick the car that morning from Seberang Prai. And poor Hakimi was waiting at Bakti Permai cafe alone, at least I was accompanied by Melissa. Hehe.

At first, we were lost while finding the way to Little India. Finally, we found it! I borrowed my sister's precious pinkish camera, and managed to take a few photos there for our project. I took pictures of variety kinds of food, and also the picture of the cafes, and also the pictures of the Chapati maker in the action of doing what he does best.. Man, I was kind of drooling over the chapati. And there were tosai, roti canai, and many more Indian food that I do not know of, but will absolutely try in the future if I had the chance to.
Hakimi, Hafiz and Melissa at the front of an Indian cafe
[Taking pics to prove that we were there and not just copied some pics from the internet online.. ;) ]



Chapati maker in action.. ;)

An anonymous Indian lady, me, Melissa and Hakimi posing in front of Shushi Banana Leaf Restaurant..

We took a picture of a Chinese family having their breakfast at one of the Indian cafe.. (Wana show the relation among races ma.. )
An example of modernized traditional Indian food... So that was how they preserved the Indian food legacy..

Then I saw something magical and heavenly when turned my head to the other side of the street..
I was drawn to the beautiful Punjabi suits which were displayed the Indian attires shops. It was my dream since last semester to buy a Punjabi suit. I was like, cis, I only brought RM40 here. There were so many choices, not like the ones that I saw in Kamdar, BJ Complex. These clothes were much more awesome and beautiful. I just managed to take a few photos before we took off. It was so sadistic because I didn't take photos of the beautiful attires. I was like, reminding myself, we were here on project, not personal satisfaction. So, maybe that was the reason why I did not take photos of the beautiful Punjabi suits. We didn't even buy the food there. Honestly, I did not buy them because I thought we have no time to wait for the Chapati (yummy!!) to be made. And I did not buy other ready-made Indian food because I did not know how to eat them, especially ladoo.

We drove around Georgetown and came to a halt at the seaside.
We managed to take pictures there..The picture of Melissa, Hafiz and Hakimi taken by me
(Personal note: Should have improved my shooting angle)


Me, Hafiz and Hakimi (Thank you Mel for offering to take our photo)
(Personal note: I guess I have body odour since Hafiz seemed to distant himself from me.. )



Finally Melissa, me and Hakimi.. This picture was the most normal cause of the angle and the models' discipline behaviour.. ;)

And finally we were back at USM at around 11.30 am. Melissa and me were just in time for the Literature lecture. It's such a shame that I failed to upload the pictures I had taken during our outing because of the poor connection in the campus here. I hope that I can go to Little India for a longer duration and for personal satisfaction again in the future.


PS, updated: Went to the library again to upload these pictures.. At least let you see what we experienced there.. Hmm, university project was kind of fun too it seems.. ;)

No comments: