Saturday, March 7, 2009

Speechless?

As excited as I was towards my current ambition, which is to become a journalist, I was very happy when I get to borrow a book introducing to the world of journalism titled "Careers in Journalism", written by Simon Kent. But the first page was kind of crushed my hope. The title was stated like below:

Is This the Job for YOU?

Are you observant and interested in world affairs or local affairs?
Observant? Man, I am only observant sometimes. Urm, if you mean scandals, I am really interested. But politics, hehe, a big NO.

Can you work to a high level of accuracy?
I am accurate in creating fictions.

Can you write good English with correct grammar and punctuation?
NOpe.

Are you good with people and do you have fantastic communication skills?
I am good with people, but I don't have fantastic communication skills. Huhu~

Can you work irregular hours?
Can. My assignments are usually done at irregular hours.

Are you calm and imperturbable?
Calm sometimes. Imperturbable? What is that? (After referring to the dictionary) Oh, the meaning of imperturbable is almost like calm or cool, and oh yeah, I am sometimes like that. I am not easily excited, at least, I am able to control my cool in certain circumstances.

Can you recognise a good story or find new angles on everyday subjects?
Urm, I recognise a good story, like for example, I just talked about dreams with my swimming mate. I think it would become a
good story if I kind of do a research about the meanings behind dreams. Yeah, right, and I am going to do the research in my dreams. Lol..

Can you work well under pressure to fixed deadlines?
Yup. Usually the product of my assignments are usually better when done under pressure.

Are you assertive and confident?
What is assertive? Confident? Nope. But I can pretend to be confident. LOL. (After referring to dictionary) Oh, assertive's meaning is almost like confident too, but it's more towards aggresive and self-assurance. Okay, sometimes I am like that.


I guess my personalities are still far from the qualities and requirements needed to become a journalist. Am I able to sacrifice all the comforts I have to live as a journalist? Am I really into journalism? I am quite torn now. I guess to do what we like, we have to sacrifice too. Sacrifice is not only for things that we hate. In fact, sacrifices are usually done when choosing something we like.

Okay, if these things are what it takes to become a journalist, okay, I accept your challenge. I am gonna adapt some of these qualities and hopefully, I will not become an annoying journalist.

2 comments:

esther delilah sia said...

dear...you got the 3rd ques wrong..totally..you are really good with the flow of your words..u hv chosen the right dream for u..cause i have always thought that writing is an area which is your expertise..one day, when you become a journalist, i will be your 1st supporter and create your fan club! *cheers*

Mad Maureen said...

Lol.. Esther, thanks for thinking highly of me.. The fan club shud be faint club because everybody would be fainting to discover how much of a lame writer i am.. lol.. Remember how i owes wrote out of subjects during MUET test?? Hehe.. Anyway, thanks for your support. I hope i can do my best not to let u down.. ;)