Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Getting the Best Out of Unhealthy Food

Being a university student, we tend to save our money by limiting the budget of our food. My hostel mates opted not to eat and sometimes ate instant noodles daily as their lunches or dinner to save budget and to save time. Everyone was busy until they had no time to tapau something from the cafeteria.

My sister, a health-conscious person that she is, used to advise me to take less instant noodles (she asked me to consume them only once a month) because as everybody knows, instant noodles are not good for health. For this semester, I did not touch any instant noodles until this morning. I prepared an instant noodle (Maggi Mee) for my lunch because I was lazy to tapau something from the cafeteria and by the way, it's lent season now and I was trying my best not to indulge in luxurious food - but actually failed because everytime after church, me, my sister and her friends would go around Prangin Mall in search for the best and worth it diner. So, at least, during the weekdays, I would try to fast, as in eating less luxurious food (not like the Muslim fast where I can't even drink, man, until now, I am really amazed at how my Muslim friends could stand a whole day without eating and drinking)..

Fasting is good too because a) we can save money, b) we can get rid of the fat in our body, c) You would not take for granted of all that luxurious, especially the home-cooked meals and not to forget d) Not need to eat that oily stuff from the cafeteria. At the same time, I did not neglect my health by eating this Maggi Mee, don't get me wrong. While preparing the Maggi Mee, I made sure it has some health benefit in it, while trying hard to minimize the unhealthy contents in it. I threw away the water that I used to boil the noodles for three times and finally I mixed some carrots inside my bowl of Maggi Mee soup and voila, a not-so-unhealthy Maggi was ready to be eaten. If possible, add an egg as a source of protein in your instant noodles, besides contributing for yummier taste. So, my sister finally agreed on my method, which actually I got from my neighbouring hostel mate who is a health conscious person. If you are to eat something unhealthy, don't forget to mix something healthy in it so that you can lessen your risk of getting the negative side effects of every unhealthy meal. But that doesn't mean you can stay safe if you eat Maggi with carrots and eggs everyday. I just mean that whenever we consume an unhealthy food, try your best to make it not as unhealthy by adding some health benefit to it. I hope I conveyed my message clear enough.

PS: By the way, I think self-prepared meal is sometimes better than the cafeteria food in terms of the hygiene and the freshness of the food. Besides, DIY food is beneficial because they are budget-friendly too and who knows you might discover a new way to make tasty, healthy, easy DIY food and ended up like Rachel Ray? ;) Try your DIY not-so-unhealthy food, such as bread with prunes or drink Cola with a slice of lemon, and many more...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... pretty interesting... I usually have mine with eggs and some vege at times. But sometimes I get too lazy I could be bothered. The part where youo throw the water away I do that too. The "glue" they use to make the noodles intact isn't good. So yeah, it is necessary. Great one.

Oh and I love having any soda with a slice of lemon inside. Usually 7up or Sprite. I don't realy fancy coke or pepsi.

Anonymous said...

oh btw, thanks for linking me up. I've linked your blog too *wink*

Mad Maureen said...

Oh,i see... so that thingy used to make the noodles is called "glue".. I was wondering what we should call that and thanks to you, finally i had an idea how to call it.. lol..;)


About the linking blog thingy, it's my pleasure to link u up cause i enjoyed reading your cool blog. And thank you too for linking mine (tho my blog does not deserved to be linked)... REally honored and at the same time self-conscious cause this is such a junior, amateur, humble, and mad blog..