Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Art of Watching A Movie..

These five golden rules of watching a movie, I got them from my own experience. Been watching DVD last night and this afternoon. Apparently, we gotta have skill when watching a movie, huh~ Watching a movie is not merely an entertainment. Sometimes, we can be educated by watching a movie if we really put in some efforts.

Okay, let me give you five basic steps to watch a movie with maximum satisfaction. ;)


1) First and foremost: Know the main characters' names and a little about their background (as sufficient as the information given) So, you will have a nice time concentrate on the storyline than messing your head with "who's Salim, who's Latika?" --> names courtesy of Slumdog Millionaire movie.

2) If can, do not depend too much on the subtitles --> (Actually, I can't survive without it.. huhu~) If you depend too much on the subtitles, you will miss out on the actors' facial expressions (whom by the way, put a lot of efforts to make that expressions.. If they couldn't get an Oscar for it, at least we, as the responsible viewers, must appreciate their full of efforts performances by watching their facial expression intensely.. ) Moreover, some of the subtitles from pirated DVD/VCD really cannot be relied on. Cis!! If you want to watch a pirated DVD, make sure you watch it with your friends who is taking the Translation course. YES!!. I know who to turn to if I watch pirated DVD. *wink*

3) Make sure you prepare a snack while watching a movie (especially the long-duration movie like Bollywood movies and some Hollywood blockbusters) or at least, make sure you eat sufficient food before watching, or else, the hunger in you will distract you from concentrating on the movie. This is very true.. That's why lately, I never fail to purchase a popcorn though I had to pay quite a high price for it.. [more expensive than the movie ticket itself, for your information!!] (;_;)

4) Silent your handphone (even when you are watching the movie from a pirated dvd alone at your room~!!) --> Gotta have the feel, you know, baru syok!! For example, during a suspense moment, suddenly your phone rang with the Lady Gaga's disco music, hilang feel!! Well, if you do not want to turn off your handphone and at the same time do not want to hilang feel, well, you have to put your handphone's music according to the movie's theme. For example, if you watch an action movie, you can set your handphone with Mission Impossible ringtone. Besides the maintenance of the feel, you too can add feel through the sound effects produced.

5) If you are watching a movie from your laptop, maybe you should get a headphone ( I am damn regretful I don't buy it during the PC fair!! I mean, those headphones on sale were quite comfortable for sensitive ears like mine.. Huhu~) so that you got a clear sound of what the characters are talking/mumbling about. Besides, you will lessen the sound pollution towards the people around you.

Actually, I got a SIXTH rule. And actually, it's the basic of all watching movie art. The rest were just commentaries.

6) DO NOT BUY PIRATED DVD/VCD!! IT'S BETTER FOR YOU TO WATCH THE MOVIES AT THE CINEMA OR BETTER, PURCHASE THE ORIGINAL COPY OF THE DVD. Me and my sister bought a pirated dvd last, last Sunday--> and the ending of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" could not be watched - and it's keeping me curious till now!!

Okay, I guess these are all the tips that I, an amateur movie watcher, can share with you. If you want to give more tips on The Art of Watching A Movie, do share (jangan kedekut ilmu~) with me, myself and I, ya!! Peace~ :D

11 comments:

Hawa said...

sayangnya kmk bru buka blog ktk tok.kn bagus mun kmk bc tips2 ya b4 g tga movie ngan ktk tdik.x la kmk molah "cm tdi"...(secret)..bayar tiket utk tga muka ktk dlm cinema..hehehe

Aiyishelelu said...

lol.. sis Maureen, u was missed PC Pair at PISA that day? hehe. I went there with friends after church ;)I also went there once last year.

next June for 3 days and Next Aug also 3 days will have PC Fair again, dont worry, u can go visit PISA which is a bit far from Bukit Jambul & Bayan Lepas.

Mad Maureen said...

Hawa: lol.. hehe.. sik apa.. kan kamek (penulis blog) ada ngan kitak, semestinya kamek akan berikan tips ya nak secara live agi.. hehe..(ade ke kamek meri?) kuang x4...

Sis Nancy: Hi, Sis.. Oh, I didn't miss the PC Fair at PISA... Hehe.. I went there with my sister on Sunday right after Mass to purchase the anti-virus and cooler pad.. My sister bought a headphone but I didn't.. Huhu~ Very regretful now.. Oh, thanks for the information Sis Nancy.. Helpful info.. ;)

Aiyishelelu said...

hehe u are welcome ;)

dont u online msn?

Mad Maureen said...

Hi, Sis Nancy..No, I don't online at msn now.. Hehehe.. Just online to at my blog and check facebook... ;)

Aiyishelelu said...

=/ dam hard see u in msn,,,

Mad Maureen said...

oh,so sorry... my line so bad.. so if i chat, i will suddenly offline or sign out.... so better if i don't sign in at all than making people wait so long for my response... :" urm, ok, if i have a better line i will definitely sign in ya... ;)

Dreamygirl said...

oh.. another tips for the not movie-watchers. If you want to text or call someone who is a movie-watcher (in saying that I mean kaki wayang or movie lovers or those who can never let a week pass without watching at least one movie), think first before you do that. First, take note of the time of day, is it lunch time/7pm/before 12noon/9pm&later (pendek kata, most of the time pun akan watch movie punye...)? If yes, probably he or she is watching a movie, so better don't interrupt their bliss if it's not urgent. If it's really urgent, then pendek&padatkan your message so that it's easy for them to read and know what u want instead of message berjela-jela panjang yang menghabiskan kredit (like what I'm doing now). Once you've text them, stop. I said once, not twice, k? They'll appreciate it very much, ok, Maureen Chua a.k.a Si Pe-mesej panjang. I had to watch the climax part a few times because I missed the part while reading your message!!!!! Oh, dammit. By the 3rd/4th time the "gan-zheong" feeling is already lost and never to return again... *sob sob*

Mad Maureen said...

Melissa: I know, it's my bad.. But then, you can reply it during your non-watching movie time... At first, how did I know you were watching movie that time? If I send message panjang in one message, some of the questions might not be answered, you know..Furthermore, you haven't finish your exam.. I just thought you were into reading blogs, who knows you're so selamba to the extend of watching movies..

Petite Amanda said...

*coughs* for me download movies better, cheaper but don have subtitles la. lol. but now i cannot download liau. my bittorrent cannot use after kena reformat. haih. sad.

subtitles on pirated DVD is always a bit not right one.. sometimes when reading the subtitles I will go, "huh? what?" lousy defected subtitles *grumbles*

Mad Maureen said...

yup... hehe.. download movie is cheaper... But need a good wireless line, and have the risk of kena infect by virus... Even now I need to stop download song from limewire because my sis said limewire banyak virus.. *sad part 1*..

ya lor, subtitles on pirated dvd oftenly not right unless they burn from original cds.. hehehe..dahlah the sound system not good, and we also cannot listen to what the characters are saying.. The complete package of ketidaksyokan.. huhu~