Thursday, April 15, 2010

He Came, He Looked, and He Asked for Money...

Date: 2nd April 2010
Location: In front of Our Lady of Sorrows Church
Time: Around 7.45 pm or later, after Good Friday service.


The rain was pouring down heavily. Each one of us who just attended the Good Friday service was very hungry. Step, Man Lee, me and several of our juniors were deciding which cafe or restaurant to go to during that rainy day.

"Let's go to Prangin Mall," was the final decision that we made. While waiting for the others to join us, suddenly a man of about 50 year old appeared and talked to us with his fluent English.

"Hello, I am a Catholic too, I just attended the Good Friday service," he started to introduce himself. " I came to Penang to attend this service from my hometown in Perak, and I needed to go back tonight. But the bus fare is RM8, and I only have RM5," he elaborated, while sheltering himself with his right hand. He looked quite in a pitiful state, but that time, I was sceptical, and quite annoyed, because he was using the tactic to create a dilemma in us for being a Christian who just came back from church. It was as if, since we were going to church, we should be good enough to show some sympathy and do some good deeds to him. The hidden premise is that, if we do not help him, what's the use of us going to church then?

"I need some money to go back home, " he continued.

I was thinking, okay, maybe I would help to contribute only RM1 in case if he really needed the cash. But before I could say or do anything, my junior, Joe, took out his RM 10 note and gave it to the man without saying much.

The man, of course, was very happy, and responded with "God bless you!!" and walked away in the downpouring rain.

Most of us were looking at Joe with our wide-eyed expressions.

"Joe~" was the only word that came out from our mouths during our speechless moment.

"Mana tau kalau dia benar-benar perlu duit tu," was his answer. Then we agreed with him.

"Ya, betul, " Man Lee agreed with Joe's decision. It is because, if he really needed the money, we would be committing sins of omissions for not helping him, but if he was lying to us, well, he was the one sinning, and we were not to bear the guilt of not helping him. But still deep down in me, I wouldn't offer that much to the person whom I still doubted, but since Joe was generous and all that, maybe it was okay. God bless him.


FAST FORWARD TO THE FOLLOWING SATURDAY...
Date: 10th April 2010
Location: the hawker stall area at Sunway Hotel, near Our Lady of Sorrows Church
Time: Around 8 pm or later, after Sunset Mass

We were sitting at our usual place before having our dinner. Me, Claire, Natalia, Mike, Deidre and Mike's future girlfriend, ahem, V*v**n, were trying to decide what to eat before we order the food. Suddenly, a man appeared at our table, he somewhat looked kinda familiar to me, and he spoke in English. He was greeting us with some "Hi Christian " thingy and tried to remind us of our responsibility as Christians, or precisely, Catholic. He was asking for money to go back to his hometown, and this rang a bell in me.


No wonder he looked familiar! He was the same guy who asked for money from us when we finish our Good Friday service a week earlier. OMG, and he was still using the same old crappy story to gain our sympathy, but too bad you're busted, fraud~! Checkmate! The same old Why-you-Christian should-help-me crap and talking about how good if he could go back to his hometown now. Gosh, he wasn't creative for a fraud, huh?

I interrupted him and told him that "Weren't you the same guy who asked for money last week? Hadn't you got your money to go back to your hometown already? My junior gave you the money, and it was RM10!" My words were more or less like that, based on my weak memory. The mean gene inside me was pouring out.

He looked at me, then he said something like this "You must be mistaken! I just came here today," he tried to fool me. What did he think I am? A cow?

"No, no, no! I am sure it was you! You told the same story, going back to your home town, you're a Catholic," I said and at the same time he was talking continually to Mike and V*v**n, maybe trying his luck? Lol.. We were not born yesterday, my dear fraud. Before he went away, he said "God bless you!" and I replied "God bless you too," with a goofy smile.

In my heart, I was thinking, "Oh, no Joe... Too bad your good deed was wasted on a fraud like him." But I guess it's the intention that matters, no matter to whom the help was offered to, even for a fraud..


I guess, to be fooled once, is okay, but to be fooled twice, no way. I wouldn't give in to that. I know maybe he really needed the money, but why did he need to lie to get them? By the way, he's healthy, and he could probably get a job, but I guess, with his reputation as a fraud, it was hard for him to get any. To help a parasite is also a sin, at least for me. So, next time, to be fooled by a person once, it's his fault. But to be fooled twice by the same person, it could be your fault.

Moral of the story: Next time, make a deal with people whom you are helping. If he/she wants the money from you, the condition is this: THEY HAVE TO TAKE A PICTURE WITH YOU! HEHE. SEE IF THEY WILL STILL WANT TO FOOL YOU IN THE FUTURE?



7 comments:

Mel Malden said...

ugh..y do they always take advantage during rainy days. i once exprerience similar incidence. that was the night before we went for ICG in johor. we were taking our dinner at khaleel, suddenly it was heavily downpour. we are suppose to get ready by the rst gate in few minutes time. no choice but hv to redah je ujan. berlari2 la p gate, got this one indian lady waiting under the overhead bridge. then she look at me, and stopped me. "adik, adik..hujan ni xda payung ka?" i stopped n gave a smile " "he..xda payung". then she continue " adik, sy xda duit mau balik. x cukup duit tambang. saya baru lepas chemo. sy ada breast cancer" ish aku ni cepat tol kesian. aku kesian org2 breast cancer ni. i asked " u punya tambang berapa?" she replied " sy perku rm5 lagi" i open my purse and gave her a note. dont remember how much. Mybe rm5 o rm10. for sure it is not rm1. because im a bit upset with the quite huge amount im giving her after i realize something. she said " thank you adik, Allah saves you" i just smile and nodded my head. the she said " adik kristian ke?" i answered, yes im a catholic. then she replied " owh, I im catholic too. i when to holy spirit. thank you adik. may Jesus saves you" masa tu la aku tersedar something..huhu Aik, td u said Allah saves me, now Jesus pulak? huh..xsuka org pakai religion factor untuk benda2 camni. the add things worst, aku perasan di dahi beliau ada calitan dot warna merah. not sure Indian christian can still wear that o not, sebab sy rasa, itu lambang u're hindu. urgh..tp aku rs aku xsalah, tp aku kecik hati kebaikan aku disalahgunakan kan..aku harap, pompuan tu sedar, n hati kecil beliau insaf..hee~ kalau betul dia susah, i hope she sould lead a better life.

Mel Malden said...

amau..sori..haha.post ko mengigat aku kepada pengalaman itu. aku komen cgek post panjang2 pulak...hahaha

Mel Malden said...

arh..cgek gyk..aku cerita pengalaman itu directly pada miak cus mlm ya b4 g icg. p ku xingat micheal ka mark padah nya berik duit ngan pompuan ya juak, days or weeks before. dengan alasan yg sama.CIS..kantoi la memang penipuan!

step.on.top said...

"What did he think I am? A cow?" hahahaha amau2...melot, mark yg bg duit ngn tambi ya 1st, then bru kta 2 digoreng juak...

Mad Maureen said...

Melod: hahha.. they always take advantage during rainy day to gain sympathy.. nampak lebih kesian ba dengan efek hujan ya.. XD it's ok Melod.. aku gembira ko komen panjang cos maksudnya ko boleh relate dgn post tok.. rasanya, ramei juak yg ada pengalaman ini memandangkan byk fraud di dunia ini, especially at here..hehe.. ya, they always pakai religion to psycho us, put us in dilemma, then once we give money, they bless us with religion, but if we didn't, heh, they would try to make us feel guilty with religion. taktik murahan. heheh.. ya, penipuan.. kenak suka aim kitak org CUS, adakah muka ktk orang agi sympathetic ka apa? hehe..

Step on top: auklah, dah aku sure, nya mok tipu gik.. such a disgrace to me.. hehe.. ahhaha.. rupa2nya Mark yg mangsa first hand.. haha.. XD

jeans lusuh said...

lucky u were there time laki ya ask 4 money. if not, 4 sure mike kenak goreng. he was about to pull out his wallet and then stopped when u interrupt their conversation....

Mad Maureen said...

Mdm Claire: woh, Mike pun hampir kena goreng? hahah.. nasib2... phew~ i hope he remembers my face just like i remembered his. so he wouldn't waste his time 'entertaining' us again in the future.. hehe.. ;)