Thursday, July 1, 2010

She Writes...

I remember when I was in high school, whenever I was asked to write a fictional essay, I was very excited because I had so many stories to tell. The stories stemmed from my imagination, and everytime when I daydreamed, a new story was born - but the sad part about it was that the story remained abstract in my mind.

When I finally transformed the stories inside my head into concrete written words, it was not reader-friendly because the essence of the story was not there. The results of my writings were nothing like what I wanted them to be. The story became less interesting compared to the one I imagined inside my head.

It turned out to be more like a syok sendiri kind of fictional essay because whenever I asked my sister to read my essay, she broke into laughter while reading it though I was sure I didn't include any humour inside my fictional essay.

And of course, she was laughing at the wrong usage of vocabulary, the cliche dramatic effect, or the stupid dialogues that I used in my story. I guess my attempt to impress the readers backfired. (-_-")

Though I lack the ability to write a good story - I am dead sure I have no problem in identifying the writing talent in somebody. And that somebody I meant is none other than this girl whom I used to teach back in my own alma mater. Her name is Angelina, and I am proud to say that I had taught her before (though the subject I taught her contributed nothing to her writing ability hehe).

I was really impressed with her short story essay that she published in her blog. That was really a remarkable piece written by a 13 year old. I could not imagine myself writing something like that at the age of 18, what more to say at her age. The vocabulary, the storyline, and the flow of the story blended well together. If my former Creative Writing lecturer reads this story, he would have given it at least a good pass - with minimum or no negative remark at all. He would be in total shock to discover that this piece was written by a high school junior, and not by his students.

I am glad and relieved because she finally created a blog. I mean, I really wanted her to realize her writing talent and maintain it for greater achievement in the future. Who knows, she could come up as the next Melina Marchetta?


This girl, with her sarcasm and wittiness, just captured me to become her ultimate blog reader. ;)
[Interframe: My sister said she was portrayed unjustly in this post - but I assured her it's normal for older siblings to laugh at the younger ones. And uh for the record, my sister laughed at this particular post which I didn't find funny at all. Unjustly, you said...Hmm...]

No comments: