Sunday, October 9, 2011

How Old are You, Mentally?

"A person earns my respect due to their mental age, not their physical age."
=lameleftygirl (12th May 2011), Words of Lamehood=

Thus, I never expect people to respect me just because I am physically older than them. 
No.

I used to be a fan of Jojo, a popular singer who is physically 2 years younger than me. Then, someone (I forgot who was it but I do remember the comment) told me, "Why do you want to be her fan? She's younger than us, you know." 

By younger, the connotation there was to mean childish, and that 'older' people like us should go and admire singers who are older and legendary like Beyonce or Michael Jackson (God bless his soul) instead. Then I wondered, what is wrong with admiring a singer who is younger than you? 

Which brings me to a chain of new questions. 

What is wrong with agreeing to a younger person's view? 
What is wrong with accepting a younger person's suggestion?
What is wrong with listening to a younger people's advice?

Will it hurt our ego? Perhaps it would, but to hell with ego. 

If we care so much about ego, then we are still very much immature. 
(and yeah I am scolding myself now for being ego in certain things in life) 

Sometimes older people can be wrong too, despite all the 'asam garam kehidupan' that they/we/you/he/she (stop pointing fingers lol) tasted throughout their/our/your/his/her lives.

You can experience a lot , or in fact everything, but then if you never instill the lesson that you learned during that experience, then the experience did not mean a thing at all.



[ Fast fact: I am mentally physically and mentally 16 ;) ]


No comments: