Friday, November 6, 2009

Your Room Shows Who You Are, and That My Dear, Is Not a New Discovery...


I am not a good hostess. I just leave my things messing around in the room (especially during exam season) and when people came to my room, I did the tidying up in front of them - I mean, how embarrassing! I used to do this whenever any of my hostel mates came to my room, both my hands doing the tidying up, while my mouth kept apologizing profusely for the mess. Sometimes if I am lucky and I got a 10 minutes notice, I grabbed all my books and notes which were scattered on the floor and bed, threw them all into my cupboard and voila, everything looked fine again, and prayed that I do not have to open my cupboard in front of the guest. By the way, if you are reading this, Marce, (that is - if you even know the the existence of this blog, hehe), sorry my room was damn messy - and I wanted to apologize I didn't have snacks to offer you. I used to buy snacks in case there is any guest coming but I ended up eating them myself even before the snack could make its way into my food cupboard, due to the temptation during stress. Hehe. But one thing for sure, I love having guest around, especially those who never come to my room before because a room is actually a place where you get to show your personality, and share bits and pieces of your life. It is your comfort zone, and it just shows your guest the idea of what makes you comfortable. Apparently, people get to know you more through your room -unless you are the kind of person who doesn't do anything to your room (but still, even when you didn't personalize your room, we can make conclusion about you - that you are either a very busy person, an uncreative person, or a plain simple boring person - pick one or pick all three, no limits here.)

So actually, what are the things that make my room, MY ROOM?

1) Tons of books - either story books or text books.
I like reading books, but now I am gradually switching to reading blogs. Maybe it's because I am too lazy to hold a book - you know, especially the hard covered books. It's damn heavy especially when you want to read them while lying down. But I like to keep books, especially English story books. This semester, I had to buy 6 children story books for my Children Literature course, but I didn't really complain, and I am not thinking of selling them off at Chow Rasta because I wanted to keep them. But it was a totally different story for text books. I bought text books because I was in the kiasu mode for this semester, when a lecturer stressed how important a book is, I was among the early birds to purchase the book- skemalah katakan. But those text books were still virgins - until the eve of the exam for sure.

Conclusion about me: You can conclude that I like to read fictions and I only read non-fictions merely for exams. You can even conclude that I am a person who like to take the easy way, buying text books instead of photocopying them - and that I am a kiasu person for buying the almost every book that the lecturer asked us to buy.

2.) Clothes hanging on my window
If you want to identify my room from outdoors, try this - look for the room with tons of clothes hanging on the window - and you shall be assured that the room belongs to me. This shows that I am ahem, someone who could adapt well to situation. Since we didn't have enough space to dry our clothes, whenever the clothes that I hung at the suspension system (not sure if I am using this noun correctly) were halfway dry, I would transfer them to the window for further drying. And no, I don't care what people think about it (especially the people who were exercising at the back of my hostel who can have a nice view of our windows and what we hung there *sigh*), as long as my clothes are dry, that could make my day and what's more important, I would be less worried.

Conclusion about me: You can conclude that I am someone who's obsessed with laundry and someone who could adapt well to situation. heheh.

3) Soft board full of prayer cards and a drawing of Jesus
Well, this shows that I am a Christian, or specifically a Catholic. But don't get the wrong idea, I am not a holy person *shame mode on*. Yeah, the reason I put many prayer cards was because I am a great sinner, so I need more prayers and protection from God. (Remember that it was the sick people who keep more medicines, so that goes the same for me..) And about the drawing of Jesus, I have always loved drawing, so I would love to put something I drew on my soft board. Besides, I didn't have any holy pictures (and I am too thrifty to buy one cause they are expensive, huhu) so a hand work of your own was the best option right?

Conclusion About Me: I am a Catholic, and I am someone who loves artistic things (it runs in the family maybe).. But as I've told you earlier, I am not a holy person, and I only have halo when I walked under the sun.

4) Table full of scattered books, notes and everything important to a student

Whenever I am busy and needed to rush, I would just place my things on my table or on my bed - that was the case before exam. But for the case during the exam or the study week, it was because I went to search for my notes high and low, thus the messy table and bed and even the floor. Thank God I have a roommate who could tolerate my madness and messiness. :)

Conclusion about Me: I am a messy person. Simple as that.

5) A picture of my besties and me

I received a gift from my besties back in 2008, before I step my feet on USM. I opened the gift while I was on the plane, to keep my mind off from my gosh-it's-my-first-time-being-on-a-plane-alone worries. It was thoughtful of them, to give me something memorable - a picture of us - Sally, Stephanie, Amanda and me together. The frame was beautiful, but what was more beautiful was the message from the picture. It was a picture of us camwhoring inside the toilet of Cafe Cafe, a well known hang out spot in Sibu. I couldn't help but to reminisce our good times together whenever I saw the photograph. It was true, though as cliche as it sounds, that a picture tells a thousand words - or more precisely, recalls a thousand memories.

Conclusion about Me: I am a sentimental person.

Now, can you analyze your room or your friends' rooms? Put on your room radar on and try to observe now yo~! And no, room raiding is not an option.


PS: Though your hostel room may be your temporary bedroom, it still can sum up a few personalities, if not all, about you. So, be wary what you keep in your room, people, because the things you keep have the power to reflect who you are.



17 comments:

Unknown said...

Apologies cause I just stumbled into your blogs (n Melissa's). How come xbei linked into your FB? Or maybe I missed those links n Urls.

Ok. I will fill my holidays finishing all the posts, because it's WORTH maddening n reading for. (adik beradik memang sama acuan)

Since Mel on hiatus, keep on updating urs. Hehe, oh if exam then good luck. =)

Mrs Chong said...

I dun think so *shakes head in denial* HAHAHAH my room is like super messy and Im super lazy to clean it butttttt..im not a messy person.... *shifty eyes*

naeus! said...

my room is scattered with about 50 pictures of me and my friends hahaha what does it say about me faster analyse ;p

Mad Maureen said...

Miselnamapendek: Yo Misel, thanks for visiting my blog~! btw, i'm mad about ur blog.. come2~ (rasa mcm hostess pulak.. hehe) owh, haha, ako bei link dagen fb - tapi akhir2 singen baru bak link.. kuangx4.

To tell u the truth, i prefer u to fill ur holiday to update your blog instead of reading mine - mine was full of benda mad2 (yg biasanya hanya diri aku yg fhm - syok sendiri katakan) and yours - my outlet to let go off the stress with all that funny, witty, creative and eye-opening posts..
sori limited vocabulary, thus the limited adjectives.. hehe.. ;)

last but not least, thanks for the good luck wish.. ;)really need and appreciate it.. ;)


Ping Ping: Haha.. Oh, ok.. Let me try my best to make a conclusion *thinking mode on*: It can either mean that you are too busy to clean them up or - welcome to the Messy club - I am the president, you know and good news - the vice president post is still available. ;) jk. jk.

Sue Ann: ok, let me have the honour to analyse - 50 pics of you and your friends scattered around - means that you are a friendly person, sentimental and possibly like messy style in a creative manner (if the pictures are scattered on the wall) and if they are scattered on the floor - welcome to the Messy Club. ;) heheh.

*recruiting Messy Club excos mode on*

Unknown said...

ANNOUNCEMENT: Bilik dia kat rumah pun macam tu. Huhuhu~

Thank goodness I'm a tolerant roommate. Cis, ur side always make my side look messier than it really is even though i just put a few things on the table and then mama will come and say, "ee~ bilit duin g kedau a mibet sampah g".

Conclusion: I am a tidy person but kena cop untidy sebab adikku untidy *staring dagger at mad maureen yg suka SS*

Mad Maureen said...

Mel: ceh, you so tidy meh? I dun think so. Maybe for your standard la kan?

Tolerant roommate or a roommate who couldn't care less? bwahaha.. always bring Kitty2 inside the room, let him dirty the beds with his fur. Nasib baiklah i am a tolerant roommate that I don't complain much when Kitty2 sat on my bed like it was his.

staring back at Mel.. kuangx4..

Petite Amanda said...

Mau, hehe, I think i'm a more messy person than you.. sure kena marah by my dearest(purposely put the word dearest here. in case she come to your blog and see i write this. haha.) roommate if the room very messy T_T I'm naturally a messy person. but i will really tidy up when i'm stressed out.

My roommate a.k.a my best friend apparently is a very neat person. the room is rarely in a mess. back when i was in swin's hostel, my room was an exact opposite. lol..

I am now trying to be a neat person so as to avoid kena marah by my roommate. >_< but still hard to change the habit. still trying.

naeus! said...

hahahaha i love your analysis! <3

we should have an fb group: "Messy and proud of it!"

Mad Maureen said...

Ada: lol.. Ada, Ada..( btw, psst.. how did u put italic words for 'very'here? U copy paste from micro words ka? heheh..) ya, haha.. I truly agree with you about Step being very neat.. lol.. My mom used to ask me to compare my room to hers cause she also knows that Step is a neat person. Wow, u tidy up when stress out? ah, ya.. totally agree that could happen. sometimes, i do my tidying up when i am stressed + motivated..heheh..

Owh, gambate on becoming a neat person. I think it's not hard for you as your bedroom still neater than mine. hehe. I wonder if we become roommate, the room will turn into a jungle eh? heheh..

Sue Anne: Thanks for liking my random analysis. Hope some of it are accurate. heheh.. FB Messy group? I like the idea..lol... Maybe you can start that group? *wink2* and i assure you i will become the first to join.. hehehe..

Hawa said...

wow..post yg mdapat sambutan...(^^,)

Hawa said...

wat ur analysis bout my room,i mean my side???hehehehe

Unknown said...

eh, kitty-kitty yg buat dirty x me. i x bawa... dia ikut sendiri. takkan i nak jadi pendera binatang and shut him out, rite?

my side memang way neater than urs. even when jay chou puzzle under my bed still neater. banding dgn ur kotak-kotak yg slalu dicakar-cakar itu. hahahahahahahahahahahhaha

Mad Maureen said...

Hawa: hahah.. mendapat sambutan sebab mungkin semua orang ada bilik.. kuangx4.. ok,my analysis about your room is that you are an organised person, (always keep your things neat and tidy) and you are a devout Muslim - you put Al-Quran words and holy words on your walls. And you are a family person, cause you keep a lot of your family pictures and your schedule show you are an organised person. ;)

Melissa: eh, not you are the one who always bring Kitty2 secara paksa rela into the room ka? - especially to sleep.. hua3... my kotak dicakar-cakar because Kitty2 yang sabotaj la.. ingat aku tak tau that was your agenda.. hua3..

Petite Amanda said...

LOL. yea i believe our room will definitely be a jungle.. >_<

oh to make the words italic u need to use coding. (i) words that you desire to write here (/i)

u replace the kembang type of bracket with the sharp arrow bracket. like this < and this. >

Mad Maureen said...

Ada: hahaha.. yeah.. at least, we're contributing to kemapanan alam sekitar.. ;) wow, thanks for the tip.. I'm gonna try them.. :D

Hawa said...

Thanks la 4 analisis ya..hehehe (^^,)

Mad Maureen said...

Hawa: You are most welcomed, dear.. ;)