Tuesday, August 6, 2024

To Watch or Not to Watch? Miss Night and Day

 


When I first came across this new Kdrama on Netflix, I was completely hooked. The plot seems interesting, the dialogues are funny and the casting is great! It has a combination of mystery and comedy (which reminds me of another Kdrama from Netflix, Behind Your Touch.

My favourite among the three main casts is Lee Jung-eun, the actress who portrays the older Lee Mi Jin. This endearing ahjumma appeared in many hit Kdramas, such as When the Camellia Blooms, Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha and Daily Dose of Sunshine

I initially liked the fact that this drama is made up many interesting supporting characters, such as Lee Mi Jin's parents, portrayed by Jung Young-Joo and Jung Suk-Yong; Mi Jin's bestie who is an influencer who is portrayed by Kim A-Young; and the Kpop sensation, Ko Won, who is played by Baek Seo-Hoo

However, as the series progressed, to be honest, I could not help it but to be a bit bored with the slow pace of young Lee Mi Jin's scenes with the leading actor. Like, why are you so boring and awkward when you are with the guy that you like, Mi Jin? Initially, the chemistry was great but as it went on, I felt that they both kinda lost that chemistry? It was quite draggy at some points that I had to change the playback speed so that I could watch Lee Jung-eun's scene. For me, the scriptwriter could not be consistent in engaging the audience especially when it comes to Mi Jin's parts. It fell into the long list of Kdramas that I felt was interesting at first, but fell flat towards the end. I haven't even watched the ending even though it was already aired on Netflix as it has failed to hook me and arouse my curiosity. I think it should have been a 12-episode drama instead of 16.

In the midst of watching this drama, I could finish watching Daily Dose of Sunshine and Little Women and currently, I might finish The Green Mother's Club before dragging myself to finish the last 4 episodes of Miss Night and Day. 

Then again, I could be wrong. But for sure, I think, this is a light-hearted drama series which is watchable but you can speed up or skip some episodes and you won't miss much. 

Watching this drama is comparable to having a crush on someone who gives you a good first impression but fails to consistently live up to your expectations afterward.

My verdict? I would give it a B-, which is a 6 out of 10. 



No comments: